In this post, you will learn how you can make more shots in basketball.
How to make more shots in basketball? Read this to shoot like Steph Curry
Eyes on Target
With anything you do, you want to accomplish something. In shooting, you want to make the ball go in the basket. How will you do that if you can’t see the basket? That is why the first step before you do anything is to look at your target.
Where to look?
Want a pro tip?
The trick is to keep your eyes looking at the back of the rim. This makes you put in just enough power to make it go in.
Also, keep your eyes on the target. Do not look at the ball in flight!
Finally, you must look at the basket as early as possible. This gives you more time to prepare and focus on your shot.
Balance and Stance
Your feet should be shoulder-width apart. This provides a nice base and good balance so you can shoot properly. Also, they should generally be in the direction towards the basket. An exception to this, is that you can turn your feet to the opposite side of your shooting arm. For example, if you are a righty, turn your feet to the left. This will provide a more natural feel for your shot. With this, put your dominant leg a little in front of your non-dominant leg. This well help guide the force through the right side.
Once you have developed a comfortable shot for you to use, make it a habit. Practice moving then going right into the same position. This will help you come to your balanced position every time with no stress. This will increase your shot confidence tremendously!
A shot pocket is how you hold the ball before you shoot
Shot Pocket Tutorial
- When you catch the ball, you should always catch it in your shot pocket!
- This consists of holding the ball, with your non-shooting hand on the side and your shooting hand on the bottom, holding the ball.
- Your shot-pocket should be a couple inches above your waist, with your elbow lined up to the basket.
- Grip the ball comfortably, but with your hand stretched out.
- Stretch palm big and wide, placing the ball on your finger pads
- Leave space between the ball and the middle of your palm. This trick is what Steph Curry uses. He says you need to be able to see daylight through your palm.
- Line up fingers parallel to the seam on the ball.
Now onto the most important part, the delivery.
- When you shoot, the ball should go straight up into the air. Do not come from an angle!
- The ball should always never go behind your head! Keep the ball in front of you!
- Make sure to use your whole body to shoot. Use your core, legs, arms, all together to get the most power.
- Extend elbow and wrist in a line that is straight to the basket. This will help keep you from not completely missing the basket.
- Flick the wrist to create backspin on the ball. Very important!!
- Release the ball on the way up of your jump
- ALWAYS HOLD TILL THE BALL HITS THE RIM
- flick wrist and fingers down
Do you have any other tips or tricks for shooting? Comment below.